Each week you should attend
- three hours of lectures and
- two hour workshop - structured as one hour tutorial followed by one hour practical.
For details of days, times and rooms consult the timetables webpage.
Note that Workshops commence in week 1.
You should have selected a workshop during enrolment. You should attend the workshop you are enrolled in. If you do not have a class, or if you wish to change one, you should see the enrolment operators in the E7B courtyard during the first two weeks of the semester. Thereafter you should go to the Science and Engineering Student Services Centre.
Please note that you are required to submit work regularly. You will get the help that you need by attending your workshop. Failure to submit work may result in you failing the unit (see the precise requirements in the "Grading Standards" section) or being excluded from the final examination.
A help desk where tutors are available for consultation on 100-level units.
REQUIRED AND RECOMMENDED TEXTS AND/OR MATERIALS
The first book in the following list, namely Starting out with Java, is the required text book for COMP125. The other books listed are helpful references.
- T. Gaddis, Starting out with Java: From control structures through objects (Pearson), Global edition (6th). ISBN 9781292110653
- W. Savitch, Absolute Java (Pearson) 5th edition. ISBN 9780132830317
- B. Eckel, Thinking in Java (electronic book, 3rd edition available within iLearn is fine and is free but does not cover data structures)
- A. Drozdek, Data Structures and Algorithms in Java (Cengage) 2nd edition. ISBN 9780534492526 (this book will also be used in COMP225)
- D. Carlson, Eclipse Distilled (Addison-Wesley) 1st edition. ISBN 9780321288158 (extensive coverage of the software development platform eclipse)
TECHNOLOGY USED AND REQUIRED
Digital recordings of lectures are available from within iLearn via Echo360.
- Eclipse - download Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
- Java SE JDK - download Java SE 8 to be compatible with the labs
- Note that you need the Java JDK 8 which includes the compiler tools. Make sure that you also the Java Runtime Environment JRE 8 to allow you to run Java applications.
- Learning Management System iLearn
- iQ system for the quizzes
The unit makes use of forums hosted within iLearn. Please post questions there, they are monitored by the unit staff.