Contact hours consist of 2 lectures and one 2-hour practical per week.
* Lecture and practical times will be available on iLearn.
Lecture material will be placed online for access by external students.
Practicals will take place online on Monday and Tuesday evenings from 7 - 9pm. The link to the online practical session will be made available on iLearn.
REQUIRED AND RECOMMENDED TEXTS AND/OR MATERIALS
- Statistics explained: an introductory guide for life scientists. 2nd ed, Steve McKillup 2011 (MyiLibrary Online access)
Other suggested reading:
Online: The Handbook of Biological Statistics http://udel.edu/~mcdonald/statintro.html is an excellent resource which covers many of the same topics as BIOL235 in a very accessible way.
Library: The library holds a wide range of books covering stats for biologists at different levels. Some favourites from the biology staff are listed below in approximate order of difficulty. These books will be placed in reserve.
- Practical statistics for field biology Jim Fowler, Louis Cohen, Phil Jarvis 1998 (QH318.5 .F68 1998)
- Statistics for terrified biologists Helmut F. van Emden (QH323.5 .V33 2008)
- The analysis of biological data. Whitlock & Schluter (QH323.5 W48 2009)
- Experiments in ecology : their logical design and interpretation using analysis of variance A. J. Underwood 1997 (QH541.24 .U54 1997)
- A primer of ecological statistics Nicholas J. Gotelli, Aaron M. Ellison 2004 (QH541.15.S72 G68 2004)
- Experimental design and data analysis for biologists G. P. Quinn, Michael J. Keough 2002 MyiLibrary Online access
UNIT WEBPAGE AND TECHNOLOGY USED AND REQUIRED
Lecture graphics and iLectures will be available on iLearn (http://ilearn.mq.edu.au). iLearn is a web-based communication package and can be accessed by most web browsers from inside or outside the University. iLearn and email will be the primary methods of communication in this subject. You are expected to use iLearn for:
- Regularly checking subject announcements;
- Downloading lecture, tutorial and reference materials;
- Checking your grades.
How do you log in? The URL for the iLearn log in page is: http://ilearn.mq.edu.au/.
You must log in to iLearn each time you use it. Your user name is your student number, and your password is your myMQ student portal password, provided upon enrolment (unless you've changed it). If you are having trouble accessing your online unit due to a disability or health condition, please go to the Student Services Website at http://sss.mq.edu.au/equity/about for information on how to get assistance.
If you are having problems logging on, that is, if you cannot log in after ensuring you have entered your username and password correctly, you should contact Student IT Help, Phone: (02) 9850 4357 (in Sydney) or 1 800 063 191 (outside Sydney).
Lecture examples, quizzes, and tutorials will be carried out using the computer programs R (http://cran.r-project.org/) and R Studio (https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download/), both of which are freely available for download.