Students must attend the following:
- 1 x 2 hour lecture - beginning in Week 1.
- 1 x 1 hour tutorial on the topics of the previous lecture - beginning in Week 1.
- 1 x 1 hour practical on the topics of the previous one or two lectures - beginning in Week 2.
- Practical and tutorial classes are compulsory and solutions will not be provided.
The timetable for classes can be found on the University web site at: http://www.timetables.mq.edu.au
Students can change their tutorial and practical classes by using eStudent at: https://student1.mq.edu.au/
For help with STAT170 related administrative matters, students should contact the STAT170 admin officer via firstname.lastname@example.org
Required and Recommended Texts and/or Materials
- A calculator with statistics mode is essential and should be brought to all classes.
- For students with PCs, the statistical software package Minitab 17 can be downloaded for free from the student portal. This can be accessed from the web page for Student IT services: http://students.mq.edu.au/it_services/. For students with Mac computers, iLab
can be used to access Minitab. Information on using iLab can also be found on the Student IT services web page.
Recommended textbook used in this unit:
- Modern Statistics: An introduction, Don McNeil and Jenny Middledorp (ISBN 9781486007011). This can be purchased in hard copy from, for example, the Coop Bookshop or in e-format (ISBN 9781486022120, access details to be provided in class).
Other recommended reading:
- Introduction to the Practice of Statistics, Moore, D.S. and McCabe, G. P (W.H. Freeman)
- Statistics without Tears by Rowntree (Penguin)
- Mind on Statistics by Utts & Heckard (Thomson, 2004)
- Elementary Statistics by Johnson & Kuby (Thomson, 2007)
- Statistics: The Art & Science of Learning from Data by Agresti & Franklin (Prentice Hall, 2007)
- The Statistical Sleuth by Ramsey and Schafer (Duxbury, 2002)
Technology Used and Required
iLearn (which is a version of Moodle) is used for delivery of STAT170 course material and can be accessed at: http://ilearn.mq.edu.au
Don McNeil Prize for Introductory Statistics is named in honour of the foundation Professor of Statistics at Macquarie University. The prize is awarded twice a year to the student with the best overall performance in a first year statistics unit.