Any enquiries regarding the internship placement component of the program should be directed to the Internship Advisor via BUS880internships@mq.edu.au.
HOST ORGANISATION SUPERVISOR
All students will be appointed a Host Organisation Supervisor, as per the Internship Project Form. Any work related concerns must first be addressed to the Host Organisation Supervisor. If an acceptable solution cannot be reached, students must contact the Internship Advisor or Unit Convenor.
ILLNESS AND EMERGENCY
If students cannot attend their internship on any day due to illness, they are required to contact their Host Organisation Supervisor. If students cannot contact their Host Organisation Supervisor, they are required to contact their Internship Advisor and notify them of the times and dates they are unavailable.
In the case of serious illness or medical emergency, students are advised to:
- Ring 000 (the emergency services number in Australia)
- For Medical Insurance, contact OSHC on 1800 814 781
- Where possible, advise a member of Macquarie International staff of their current situation OR have their Host Organisation Supervisor contact the Internship staff.
Student Emergency Number outside of office hours (9am-5pm): 1800 CAREMQ (227 367)
- Students must complete 150 workplace hours, as confirmed by their Host Organisation Supervisor.
- Students can start their internship from week 1 (31 July 2017). Students must begin their internship hours on or before Friday of week 4 (25 August 2017), unless otherwise arranged with their Internship Advisor and Host Organisation Supervisor.
- Days and hours of work will be decided in agreement with the student’s Host Organisation Supervisor.
- Hours must be completed by the Friday, two weeks after week 13 (24 November 2017).
- Students are not required to work over the mid-semester break but can if they wish, by arrangement with their Host Organisation Supervisor. Students are responsible for discussing their mid-semester break plans with their Supervisor a few weeks prior.
INTERNSHIP HOURS LOG
Students are required to record their hours worked on a weekly basis on the Internship Hours Log (available in iLearn). Failure to submit the completed form, signed by the Host Organisation Supervisor will result in Fail grade for the unit.
Upload the log to iLearn on completion of internship hours or by 5pm on the Friday two weeks after week 13 (24 November 2017).
If students complete the required 150 hours before the end of the session, they are welcome to do additional hours at the host organisation by agreement with their Host Organisation Supervisor. Students are still covered under Macquarie insurance until the final day of the session (1 December 2017).
If students wish to continue at the host organisation after the final day of the session, this is a private arrangement between the student and host organisation and the student will no longer be covered by Macquarie insurance.
Students cannot be compelled to complete more than 150 hours at the host organisation.
During the internship, students are required to:
- Complete their internship tasks to a high standard.
- Dress appropriately for work and meet the standards set for regular employees
- Meet any human resources requirements established by the host organisation.
- Abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the host organisation and the department to which they are assigned, including confidentiality, access to information, safety and security.
- Treat all information gained in the course of the internship with the utmost confidentiality. This includes, but is not limited to office conversations, files and documents, meeting content, intellectual property and all office communications including email, memorandums and notices. Students must not disclose confidential information to any person, corporation, or entity at any time, that is, both during and after the placement. It is the student’s responsibility to check with their Host Organisation Supervisor about the confidentiality of any information included in their academic assessment tasks.
- Adhere to organisational policies on email and internet usage. Use of any office resources (e.g. telephones, computers, stationery, mail and courier services, printers and photocopiers) should be strictly related to internship tasks, unless alternative arrangements have been made.
- Refrain from using their mobile phone, personal email account and social networking technology except for lunch breaks and after-work hours.
- Act in a professional manner at all times, be courteous, sensitive to the needs of others, and provide appropriate assistance.
- Be aware of cultural, religious and professional sensitivities of colleagues and to behave in an appropriate manner.
- Refrain from bringing personal visitors into the workplace without prior permission from the Host Organisation Supervisor.
Additionally, all intellectual property existing in the host organisation or produced as part of an internship remains the property of the host organisation.
If a student is found to be performing at a sub-standard level or behaving inappropriately, the Internship Advisor and/or Unit Convenor will work with both parties to find a solution. If a solution cannot be reached, the student may be removed from the internship placement.
On completion of internship hours, students are required to request their own reference from their Host Organisation Supervisor. Reference guidelines are available on iLearn, if required.
All students are strongly encouraged to make use of the academic and professional development workshops offered at Macquarie University. Workshops are available through the following services and programs: