1. Unit Outline
2. Paolo Mefalopulos (2008), Development Communication Sourcebook, pp18-28, Washington: The World Bank
Culture, Media and Communication
1) “How the Media Work” by Michael O’Shaughnessy and Jane Stadler (2004) in Media and Society
2) Study the 12 areas of influence of the media in national development summarised by Schramm (Andrew A. Moemeka, Development Communication: A Historical and Conceptual Overview).
Reflect on the different views of the media. What is what roles can media play in a society? What are the factors that can affect the effects of media?
Development and Development Communication
1. McPhail, Thomas L. (2009) “Introduction to Development Communication” Development Communication – Reframing the Role of the Media West Sussex: Blackwell
2. Search the internet about the definition of development and development communication.
What is development?
What is development communication?
Mass Media Strategy and Case Study
1. Promoting Family Planning Through Mass Media in Nigeria
2. Clifford Odimegwu (1999) “Family Planning Attitudes and Use in Nigeria: A Factor Analysis” (http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2508699.pdf)
3. Miller, Katherine (2002) “Three Classic Models of Persuasion” in Communication Theories Boston: McGraw Hill (pp114-125)
(1) What media were used in the Nigeria case?
(2) What roles did these media play in the Nigeria case?
(3) What do you learn about organizing a development communication campaign from the Nigerian case?
Small Media and Community Development
1) Rural Newspaper Forums: Another Model of Communication for Development
2) Radio Strategies for Community Development
What are the strengths of the Rural Newspaper Forum? What are the weaknesses?
Should radio still be considered as an important medium for development communication? Why?
Participatory Communication and Case Study
1. Involving People in a Participatory Process
2. “Community Education: the Maribyrnong experiment” in Building Stronger Communities (pp146-149)
1. Summarise some key strategies of participatory communication from the case discussed in the article: “Community Education: the Maribyrnong experiment”.
2. What are the strengths and weaknesses of participatory communication?
Achievement Motivation theory and DevCom
1. Creative Message Design Strategies in Designing Messages for Development Communication (pp155-172)
2. A Theory of Achievement Motivation in Human Motivation (pp 180-202)
1) How do you understand audience-responsive message design?
2) What are the components of audience-responsive message design?
3) Find some examples of the following creative strategies:
• USP strategy
• Image strategy
• Positioning strategy
• Entertainment and education strategy
(These strategies are discussed in page 165 of the first reading material.)
Integrated Marketing Communications
1. Belch, G.E. and Belch M. A (2007) pp5-25, “Chapter 1 An Introduction to Integrated Marketing Communications” in Advertising and Promotion, Boston: McGraw-Hill
2. Conduct an online search on current critiques about IMC.
1. What are the components of the IMC mix?
2. What do you think is the core of the IMC concept?
Media Freedom and Ethics
1. Syed Arabi “Press Freedom and Responsibility in a Developing Society”
2. Aidan White (2009) “Media Accountability: Setting Standards for
Journalism and Democracy” http://ethicaljournalisminitiative.org/assets/docs/009/135/b548609-5902487.pdf
1. How do you understand the meaning of Freedom of communication?
2. How do you understand the relationship between media freedom and responsibility?
Public Sphere and Public Journalism
1. Arthur S. Hayes (2008) “Public Journalism: Press Criticism as an Ongoing Experiment” in Press Critics Are the Fifth Estate (Chapter 8)
2. Philip Meyer (1995) “Public Journalism and the Problem of Objectivity” http://www.unc.edu/~pmeyer/ire95pj.htm
1. What is the core concept of the Public Journalism theory?
2. Is this decade old theory still relative in the present day? Why?
Week 11- 13
Group Project and Presentation