Tutorials are formulated around both independent and team activities that focus on problem solving and development of resource inquiry and writing skills. Access to the internet and the use of spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel (TM)) is assumed. External students should refer to the External Students Activity Submission Timetable below to ensure that they undertake tutorial activities by the correct due date.
On-campus sessions (practicals).
External students have SIX COMPULSORY on-campus sessions to attend. OCS are an intense and stimulating blend of activities and will also include assessments such as skill tests, student presentations and formal examinations. As the unit is focused on a student's handling of basic equipment in the lab/field, and development of technical and analytical skills, students will be expected to maintain an prac book during their OCS sessions.
External students should also take due note of the following:
On Campus sessions run from 9am to 5pm.
• External students MUST WEAR ENCLOSED FOOT WARE to all practical sessions.
• Lab coats are not compulsory.
• All other personal protection such as gloves and safety glasses will be supplied as required by our approved risk assessment procedures.
• There are no dissections of animals in BIOL116, however, we do handle insects and take the ethical handling of all organisms very seriously.
• Students that have a medically-assessed allergy to gloves (latex, plastics, nitrile), pollen or crustaceans, or have a disability should make staff aware in advance so that alternative equipment and activities for certain practicals can be prepared in advance to ensure completion of the unit. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject line use the flag: Confidential Prac Allergy Notification - External.
• Failure to attend set OCS will result in automatic failure of the unit, as alternative on-campus catch-up sessions are not possible. Externally-enrolled students cannot attend Internal (Day) offered practical classes due to the lack of class space and University Workplace Health and Safety regulations.
- Due to University policy on Workplace Health and Safety, access to all laboratory classes will be closed 10 minutes after the start time. Late entries will not be permitted under any circumstances.
- Practical attendance is compulsory and an attendance roll will be taken.
External students have two practical exams. The first on the morning of the fourth on-campus session and the second in the official exam period of semester 1 (week 1). Practical exams will cover the following:
• OCS 4 (Thursday 27th April, 2017). The mid-term practical exam will cover Tutorial, Pre-prac activities and Practical experiences or material covered up to and inclusive of the first 3 OCS. External students will be tested on equipment use or will need to answer technique or analytical questions at ~6-8 stations.
• Semester 1 Exam Session (Wednesday 14h June, 2017). The final practical exam will cover Tutorial, Pre-prac activities, and Practical material or experiences across the whole semester. External students will be tested on equipment use or will need to answer technique or analytical questions at ~8-10 stations.