A 1.5 hour tutorial class is presented each week. Tutorials are formulated around both independent and team activities that focus on problem solving and development of resource inquiry and writing skills. Students are encouraged to bring their computer or alternative mobile internet platform (e.g. surface, iPad, mobile) to tutorials to assist with search activities or the use of spreadsheet software (e.g. Excel (TM)). There are pre-tutorial activities where students must come prepared to their class. Tutorial classes are fixed and cannot be changed once selected. Tutorial attendance is compulsory and an attendance roll will be taken.
A 2.5 hour practical is presented each week and in the majority of cases there is a short pre-prac activity to complete prior to entering the class. As the unit is focused on a student's handling of basic equipment in the lab/field, and development of technical and analytical skills, students will be expected to maintain a prac book. Each prac will be graded two weeks after its completion between Weeks 4 and 12 (inclusive). The prac book will be assessed after students have undertaken their mid-term and final practical exams. There are four skill tests (Weeks 3, 5, 8 and 11) and two practicals exams (Week 7 and 13) all undertaken during set practicals classes.
- Students MUST WEAR ENCLOSED FOOTWARE to all practical sessions.
- Lab coats are not compulsory.
- All other personal protection such as gloves and safety glasses will be supplied as required by our approved risk assessment procedures.
- There are no dissections of animals in BIOL116, however, we do handle insects and take the ethical handling of all organisms very seriously.
Students that have a medically-assessed allergy to gloves (latex, plastics, nitrile), pollen or crustaceans, or have a disability should make staff aware in advance so that alternative equipment and activities for certain practicals can be prepared to ensure completion of the unit. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject line use the flag: Confidential Prac Allergy Notification.
Due to University policy on Workplace Health and Safety, access to all laboratory classes will be closed 10 minutes after the start time. Late entries will not be permitted under any circumstances.
- Practical attendance is compulsory and an attendance roll will be taken.
BIOL116 has practical exams built into the semester program (Weeks 7 and 13) and does not hold exams in the official exam period of a semester. Practical exams will cover the following:
- Week 7 Prac Exam will cover Tutorial, Pre-prac activities and Practical experiences or material covered in the first 7 weeks of the term. Students will be tested on equipment use or need to answer technique or analytical questions at ~6-8 stations.
- Week 13 Prac Exam will cover Tutorial, Pre-prac activities, and Practical material or experiences across the whole semester. Students will be tested on equipment use or need to answer technique or analytical questions at ~8-10 stations.
- Students will need to show their last 2 weeks of completed prac activities in the prac book at the final exam for grading. No hardcopy, no grade.