Lecture program and location
- There is one lecture per week. Please check lecture time and location at the Macquarie University Timetables website: https://timetables.mq.edu.au
- External students can listen to recorded lectures via Echo360. Link will be available via iLearn page.
- There is one three-hour practical class from weeks 1 to 12 for internal students. Please check prac time and location at the Macquarie University Timetables website: https://timetables.mq.edu.au
- Students who have a home computer with the Windows operating system (e.g. 7, 8, 10) may obtain a copy of the ArcGIS software, to enable extra work at home. This is not essential to complete the unit, as the computers in the computer lab are available for casual use outside formal practical classes.
Practical work for external students
- There is NO on-campus session for this unit.
- To complete the practical work, external students must have at home a computer with Windows operating system. External students are provided with a copy of the ArcGIS software to use while studying this unit (details will be announced on iLearn).
- External students without a computer running Windows system should discontinue their enrolment in the unit. ArcGIS can only be installed on Windows operating systems.
- The remote sensing software, ENVI, will be accessible via iLab; a take-home copy of ERDAS Imagine will be provided to the external students.
- There are no prescribed texts for this unit. However there is recommended reading associated with lectures from texts, published papers and internet sites. See below for recommended texts.
- All teaching materials (including practical notes) are made available on iLearn webpage.
- Recommended texts: The following books are available in the MQ library.
- Burrough PA and McDonnell RA (1998) Principles of geographical information systems. Oxford Univeristy Press: Oxford. (G70.212.B87/1998)
- Chang K-T (2006) Introduction to Geographic Information Systems. McGraw-Hill: New York. (G70.212.C4735 2006)
- Jensen J.R. (2016) Introductory Digital Image Processing: A Remote Sensing Perspective. 4th Ed. Prentice Hall: Upper Saddle River, NJ. (G70.4 .J46 2016)
- Lillesand, et.al.(2008) Remote sensing and image interpretation. 6th ed., Hoboken, NJ : John Wiley & Sons (G70.4 .L54 2008)
Unit Webpage and Technology Used
Unit web page
This unit’s webpage will be available on iLearn.
Information about how students can access iLearn can be found at: http://www.mq.edu.au/iLearn/student_info/index.htm
The iLearn page uses Macquarie University’s standard interface and has links, access to lectures (as audio files through Echo360, and as downloadable PDF presentations) and practical instructions. Important announcements will be made through iLearn, so check the iLearn page regularly.
Information about how to access lecture recordings through the Echo360 EchoCenter page in iLearn can be found at: http://mq.edu.au/iLearn/student_info/lecture_recordings.htm
This unit will use iLearn, ArcGIS, Exelis ENVI, and Hexagon ERDAS Imagine software for the teaching and practical exercises.
You will require access to a computer and broadband internet to complete this unit. The computer labs are available for casual use outside scheduled practical classes.
Students who have a home computer with a Windows 7 or higher operating system may obtain a copy of the ArcGIS software from the unit convenor. The ArcGIS software is NOT supported by Mac or Linux operating systems. It is not essential for internal students to have ArcGIS installed on their home computer as the computers in the computer labs are available for casual use outside scheduled practical classes.