Important schedule information: Please note that OUA units offered by Macquarie University now follow Macquarie Sessions rather than OUA Study Periods. This will include a mid-session break of two weeks. You will find the Session dates here:
This OUA unit will be running in Semester 2 as an integrated unit with the equivalent on-campus unit. This means that lecture content (slides and lecture recordings) will be added as the lectures are given over the semester. The lectures will be held on campus on Thursdays between 10am and 12pm, and the recordings will be available through iLearn shortly after the completion of the lecture.
1 Course intro, what is metaphysics?
Essential reading: Ch. 1 of Carroll & Markosian
Essential reading: Ch. 2 of Carroll & Markosian
3 Free will and determinism
Essential reading: Ch. 3 of Carroll & Markosian
4 Laws of nature
Essential reading: Ch. 4 of Carroll & Markosian
5 Personal identity
Essential reading: Ch. 5 of Carroll & Markosian
6 Mental states
Essential reading: Ch. 6 of Carroll & Markosian
7 The metaphysics of God
- Wainwright, W. (2012). Concepts of god. In Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Himma, K. (2015). Anselm: Ontological argument for god's existence. In Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
Essential reading: Ch. 7 of Carroll & Markosian
9 Time travel
Essential reading: Nicolas Smith. (2013). Time travel. In Stanford Encyclopedia of
10 The metaphysics of art
Essential reading: Davies, S. (2005). The ontology of art. In J. Levinson (ed.), The Oxford handbook of aesthetics (pp. 156-180). Oxford University Press.
11 The metaphysics of artifacts
- Houkes, W.N. & Vermaas, P. (2009). Artefacts in analytic metaphysics. Techne, 13(2), 74-81.
- Kroes, P. & Meijers, A. (2006). The dual-nature of technical artifacts. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A, 37(1), 1-4.
- Heersmink, R. (2014). The metaphysics of cognitive artefacts. Philosophical Explorations. DOI: 10.1080/13869795.2014.910310
12 The metaphysics of virtual reality
- Brey, P. (2014). The physical and social reality of virtual reality. In M. Grimshaw (ed.), Oxford handbook of virtuality, (pp. 42-54). Oxford University Press.
- Mooradian, N. (2006). Virtual reality, ontology, and value. Metaphilosophy, 37(5), 673-690.