Schedule – PHIX132 Happiness, Goodness, and Justice
The unit will introduce philosophy under three big ideas: Living a life of happiness, justifying what goodness is, and some burning issues of justice.
Lecturers: NS: Nicholas Smith ML: Mianna Lotz PF: Paul Formosa
1. What is moral philosophy? (NS)
Part 1: Happiness (NS)
2. “The good life is the life of pleasure” – Epicurean ethics
3. Living according to nature – Stoic ethics
4. Happiness and character – Aristotelian ethics
Part 2: Goodness (NS (wk 5) & ML)
5. Morality and religion
6. The challenge of moral relativism
7. Egoism and self-interest
MID SEMESTER BREAK - 2 WEEKS
8. The moral law is universal! – Kant’s challenge
9. The greatest good for the greatest number – Utilitarianism
Part 3: Justice (PF)
10. Justice and inequality – is global poverty justifiable?
11. Immigration and refugees – can we keep them out?
12. Climate change and justice – who should pay to fix it?
13: Revision - No lecture