Lectures begin in Week 1. Tutorials begin in Week 2.
Students must attend two hours of lectures and two hours of tutorials per week.
The lecture notes will be made available on iLearn before the lecture.
Tutorial exercises will be set weekly and will be available on iLearn before the tutorial.
The timetable for classes can be found at http://www.timetables.mq.edu.au
All unit related materials including lecture notes, tutorials and instructions for assessment tasks and administrative updates, will be posted on iLearn at
The statistical software R will be used. This is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics and can be downloaded from the website
Texts and materials
There is no required textbook for this unit.
Recommended reference sources:
1. W. P. Krijnen Applied Statistics for Bioinformatics using R, 2009.
2. S. Draghici Statistics and Data Analysis for Microarrays Using R and Bioconductor. Chapman & Hall/CRC Mathematical and Computational Biology, 2nd Edition, 2012.
3. P. N. Suravajhala. Your passport to a career in bioinformatics. New Delhi: Springer, 2013.
4. W. J. Ewens and G. R. Grant. Statistical Methods in Bioinformatics, an Introduction. Springer, 2005.
5. K. Lange. Mathematical and Statistical Methods for Genetic Analysis, Statistics for Biology and Health. Springer, 2002.