Johnson, G., Whittington, R., Scholes, K., Angwin, D. and Regner, P. (2017). Exploring strategy. 11th edition. Harlow, UK: Pearson Education Limited. ISBN: 9781292145129
Please note: It is recommended that you read the chapters suggested in the unit guide prior to the relevant class.
A selection of readings on Strategic Management will also be made available. Specific articles are recommended for review in connection with each class session. Optional readings (classic and contemporary) are listed below for students interested in reading further in the field of Strategic Management.
Where to purchase textbook?
The Coop Bookshop: The Coop Bookshop is our main retailer for textbooks and other related academic material. For information on textbook prices and online ordering, please refer to The Co-Op Bookshop webpage at http://www.coop.com.au
Disclaimer: MGSM does not take responsibility for the stock levels of required textbooks from preferred retail outlets and other book retailers. While we advise our preferred book retail outlet, The Co-op Bookshop, of our maximum expected number of students purchasing specific required text each term, The Co-op Bookshop and other book retailers will make their own judgement in regard to their physical holding stock levels. To prevent disappointment if a textbook is out-of-stock, we highly advise students to order their textbooks as early as possible, or if the required textbook is currently out-of-stock, place an order with the book retailer as soon as possible so that these book retailers can monitor demand and supply, and adjust their stock orders accordingly.
Other optional resources
We have also provided additional material in the iLearn unit (articles, book chapters and video links) as a resource for you. These supplementary unit materials are not compulsory and have been provided as extra resources should you be particularly interested in a topic.
Optional reading resources
Below is a list of other readings related and extended beyond this unit which you may wish to look into.
- Barney, J. (1991), "Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage," Journal of Management, 17 (1), 99-120.
- Collins, J.C. and Porras, J.I., Built to Last - Successful Habits of Visionary Companies, Harper Collins, New York, 1994
- D’aveni, R.A. & MacMillan, I.C.; Hypercompetition, The Free Press, New York, 2006.
- Hamel, G. and Prahalad, C.K., Competing for the Future, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 1994
- Hamel, G., Leading the Revolution, McGraw Hill, 2000.
- Kim, W.C. and Mauborgne, R., Blue Ocean Strategy, Harvard Business School Publishing, Boston, 2005.
- Mintzberg, H., The Rise and Fall of Strategic Planning, Prentice Hall, 1994
- Mintzberg, H. and Quinn, J.B., The Strategy Process, Prentice-Hall International, 1991
- Montgomery, C.A and Porter, M.E., (Eds) Strategy: Seeking and Securing Competitive Advantage, Harvard Business Review, 1991
- Porter, M.E., Competitive Strategy, Free Press, 1980
- Osterwalder, A. and Pigneur, Y., Business Model Generation, Wiley, New Jersey, 2010.
- Porter, M.E., Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, Free Press,1985
- Senge, P.M., The Fifth Discipline, Double Day Currency, 1990
- Teece, D. (2007) "Explicating Dynamic Capabilities: The Nature and Microfoundations of (sustainable) Enterprise Performance", Strategic Management Journal, 28, 1319-1350.
- Tichy, N.M. and Sherman, S., Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will, Doubleday, 1993
The web page for this unit can be found at: https://ilearn.mq.edu.au/login/MGSM
Access to a personal computer is required to access resources and learning material from iLearn.