The unit is delivered by face to face and online (Zoom) in block mode sessions. Lectures and workshops will be carried out 5 full-day sessions. The teaching involves:
- Background reading by the students
- Lectures (recorded on Zoom for external students) to introduce theories and concepts
- Practical workshop sessions to provide opportunities for experiential learning on tasks and through discussion with other class members (preparation is essential)
- Student presentations of tasks prepared in advance
- Talks from guest lecturers that convey the practice of sustainability and the ways change is facilitated
- A field trip to appreciate the practical, technical and socio-political aspects of sustainability (this may be modified for 2021 due to concurrent online and face to face program).
- Assignments that require students to practice key skills, including critical and integrative thinking, taking a systems perspective, listening to stakeholders, and communicating through diverse forms including digital stories, writing and presenting in a logical and clearly argued manner
- Assignments provide opportunities for presenting in different formats, working with people of different skills and cultural perspectives.