Recommended text book:
Ashman, A. (2018). Education for Inclusion and Diversity. Sixth Edition. Melbourne: Pearson-Australia.
Information about the unit iLearn site:
This unit has a full web presence through iLearn.
Students will need regular access to a computer and the Internet to complete this unit.
Weekly access to iLearn is compulsory for all students. Important assessment information will be posted here, as will other relevant unit notices and materials.
Various activities and materials for discussion and critical reflection are included and external students especially are encouraged to use this web component. Electronic links and suggested references will be included in the Resources section. Please check the iLearn unit regularly.
Access and technical assistance
Information for students about access to the online component of this unit is available at ilearn.mq.edu.au/login/MQ/. You will need to enter your student username and password.
Please do NOT contact the Unit Convenor regarding iLearn technical help.
No extensions will be given for any technical issues. Allow enough time for your submissions.
Assistance is available from IT Helpdesk ph: 1800 67 4357, or log a request at help.mq.edu.au. OneHelp is the online IT support service for both students and staff.
This unit requires students to use several ICT and software skills:
- Internet access: The iLearn site contains materials for this unit; it is also required for the online submission of all Assessment Tasks, and for the use of Turnitin submission for ALL tasks.
- Word processing, visual representations, and document formatting: You are required to use an appropriate form of software to present your assignments.
- Uploading of assessment tasks to iLearn.
General organisation of the unit
The unit is organised in external mode only, and in a flexible delivery format.
Delivery is designed such that students may seek as much or as little assistance as required in completing the unit. In flexible delivery units, it is critical that students are organised and disciplined. If you get significantly behind in your topic coverage, it may be impossible to catch up. Please start your study as soon as possible.
This unit has a full web presence through iLearn. Students are expected to access the iLearn site and engage with unit materials regularly during the teaching weeks of the semester.
Macquarie University has a range of services for students. If you are struggling with any aspect of academic life or career trajectory and skills, we have great supports within the university. Please refer to the comprehensive list of support services here.
Access and technical assistance
Information for students about access to the online component of this unit is available at https://students.mq.edu.au/support/study/tools-and-resources/ilearn. You will need to enter your student username and password.
Unit delivery: Teaching and learning activities
- Study guides provide an overview of topics and guide learning.
- Readings are designed to prepare students for the seminars as well as broaden their understanding of topics.
- Online presentations provide information and highlight key concepts.
- Forums provide students with the opportunity to ask question and discuss issues relevant to the unit. Contributions to the online discussion forum are not compulsory but can be a beneficial way of exchanging ideas and discussing unit content with other students. Although unit convenors typically check the Discussion Forums daily (on weekdays), they will not respond to all posts, as discussion between students may be more appropriate. Forums should be checked every 48 hours for important announcements.
- Dialog allows students to communicate privately with the unit staff. Dialog should be checked every 48 hours for important information.
- Zoom Meetings allow students to meet online with unit staff to seek clarification or discuss relevant issues.
- Assessments allow students to refine and demonstrate achievement of unit learning outcomes.
Technologies used and required
The unit uses an iLearn web site. You may access the site from:
Zoom Meetings will be used for consultation. You can sign up to use the service for free (https://www.zoom.us) and download clients for computers and mobile devices here: