TEACHING AND LEARNING STRATEGY
This unit will be delivered over a 5-week block, followed by a 3-week assessment period. Each week will consist of 2-3 hours longitudinal lecture series, 2 hours unit-specific tutorials, 2 hours case-based tutorials, 2 hours bedside tutorials and 8 hours of immersive clinical experience and clinical simulation in critical care to enhance knowledge and skill development. 4 hours of lectures are assigned to the research component of the unit.
MACQUARIE MD TEXTBOOK LIST - YEAR 2 2021
- Medicine: Davidson’s principles and practice of medicine (22nd edition). Colledge et al (2014). ISBN: 9780702050350.
- Surgery: Davidson's Principles and Practice of Surgery. 7th Ed (2017). Garden OJ, Bradbury AW, Forsythe JLR, Parks RW editors. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier.
Additional Optional Texts:
- Surgery: Henry MM, Thompson JN, editors. Clinical Surgery. 3rd Edition. Edinburgh: Saunders; 2012
- Microbiology: Goering et al (2013). Mims’ medical microbiology (5th edition). ISBN: 9780723436010.
- Pathology: Kumar et al. Robbins and Cotran pathologic basis of disease (9th edition). ISBN: 9781455726134.
- Pharmacology: Rang et al (2016). Rang and Dale’s pharmacology (8th edition). ISBN: 9780702053627
- Clinical Skills: Talley, N., O'Connor, S. (2017) Clinical examination. A systematic guide to physical diagnosis (8th ed.) Elsevier. ISBN 9780729542869.
- Procedural Skills: Dehn, R & Asprey, D. (2013). Essential Clinical Procedures (3rd ed.) Elsevier Saunders. ISBN 9781455707812.
MEDI8203 Critical Care, Patient Safety and Quality, and Research
- Critical Care: Bersten, A., (Ed.). (2013). Oh's Intensive Care Manual (7th ed.). Elsevier Health Sciences
- Research Methodology: Harris, M., & Taylor, G. (2014). Medical Statistics Made Easy: 3rd Edition. Scion Publications.
TECHNOLOGY AND EQUIPMENT
Macquarie University is a BYOD environment where students are encouraged to bring their personally owned devices (laptops, tablets, etc.) to learning activities and to use these devices to access information and study.
Teaching rooms are equipped with state of the art audio-visual and ICT equipment including iPads, internet connection and multiple LCD screens. Students will use a range of specific equipment typically used in the assessment and management of people with a range of health conditions.
To study optimally when off campus you will need to have access to a reliable internet connection to retrieve unit information, and at times to submit assessment tasks via iLearn.
CONSULTATION WITH STAFF
Staff will be available for individual consultations, please see iLearn site for information on staff availability for consultation.
- Unit specific content will be located on the MEDI8203 Critical Care, Patient Safety and Quality, and Research 2020 Intake iLearn site.
- Research content will be located on the MQMDResearch Macquarie MD Research - Intake 2020 iLearn site.
- The longitudinal lecture series will be located on the Macquarie MD Year 2 - 2020 Intake iLearn site.
- Assessment information will be available on the Macquarie MD Assessment 2020 Intake iLearn site.
- Logistical and organisational information specific to the cohort will be located on the Macquarie MD 2020 Intake Noticeboard iLearn Site.
- Policy and Guidelines for the Macquarie MD will be located on the MDCU Doctor of Medicine Community iLearn site.