Weekly recorded online lectures and workshops
This unit will be primarily taught using online ECHO recordings. Each week there will be a main lecture recording (approx. 1.5 hours), as well as accompanying short video recordings (approx. 0.5 hours). Reference 'tags' to the short videos are included in the pdf lecture notes. There will also be a weekly workshop related to each topic with an accompanying video recording (approx. 0.5 hours). It is strongly recommended that students watch all of these recordings.
Live online revision lectures
There will be two live online revision lectures (approx. 2 hours) held in weeks 6 and week 13. These are intended to provide a revision opportunity for the Class Test and Final Exam, respectively. The revision lectures will be an interactive experience, including live quizzes and discussion of example questions relevant to the respective topics covered.
- Pepall, L., D Richards and G. Norman, 2014, Industrial Organization: Contemporary Theory and Empirical Applications, 5th Edition, Wiley.
The printed textbook and E-Text can be purchased from Wiley: https://www.wiley.com/en-au/Ind ustrial Organization: Contemporary Theory and Empirical Applications, 5th Edition-p-9781118545508. The printed textbook can also be purchased via various online retailers (Zookal, Booktopia, Amazon etc.) You must have access to this resource prior to the start of the semester (and in my experience students without access to this content are far less likely to pass).
Other textbooks which may also be useful include:
- Cabral, L. 2017, Introduction to Industrial Organization, 2nd Edition, MIT Press Cambridge
- Church, J. and R. Ware, 2000, Industrial Organization: A strategic approach, McGraw-Hill, Boston (This text is available online free of charge at: http://homepages.ucalgary.ca/~jrchurch/page4/page4.html).
- Shy, O., 1995, Industrial Organization, MIT Press, Cambridge, 1995.
- Waldman, D.E., and Jensen, E., 2013, Industrial Organization Theory and Practice, Fourth Edition
For a more advanced treatment of the material covered in this course you may want to consider the following textbooks:
- Belleflamme, P. and M. Peitz, 2010, Industrial Organization: Markets and Strategies, Cambridge University Press, New York.
- Tirole, J. 1988, The Theory of Industrial Organization, MIT Press, Cambridge