Information about Classes and Course Material
The timetable for classes can be found on the University web site at http://www.timetables.mq.edu.au/2021. This timetable shows the class times and locations.
Please refer to iLearn for details.
Please refer to iLearn for details.
Consultations will be provided on a regular basis and details will be posted to iLearn. Consultations provide an excellent method for students to clarify any questions that they may have and it is highly suggested that students take advantage of this resource.
Any changes to the course will be announced in lectures and on iLearn. Make sure that you regularly check the Announcements on iLearn.
In this unit students are expected to be able to use R, which will feature extensively throughout the course material and assessments.
Lecture materials and course notes will be provided via iLearn. You will not need any other textbooks. The library does have some actuarial textbooks which may be useful as a source of additional practice problems (references will be posted on iLearn).
Each week tutorial problems and solutions will be posted on iLearn.
Copies of old class tests and exams, with worked solutions, will be made available on iLearn.
Students will need to use computers to access iLearn. Students who do not own a computer can use the University's PC labs.
Some assessment tasks such as the discussion posts and assignment may require some research (e.g. using Google Scholar or the library's electronic databases).
The assignment will require the use of R, which is freely available online. Students are also recommended to download RStudio.
The course notes, readings, recordings, tutorial questions and tutorial solutions for this unit will be posted on iLearn. There will be a separate section for each week.
To find the iLearn page, go to ilearn.mq.edu.au and enter your user name and password. Once you log in, you should see a list of all the units you are enrolled in - and this should include ACST3059 Actuarial Modelling. Click on the unit name to go to the unit's iLearn home page.
- If you have trouble logging in to iLearn or you can't remember your password, ring 9850 HELP or send a question by email to OneHelp@mq.edu.au.
- If you have any personal questions, then you can send Alan a message via iLearn (click on "Send a message"). For example, if you are sick and you need Special Consideration, or you want to switch tutorials because you have a timetable clash, send a message to Alan via iLearn "Send a Message". Alternatively, you can also email Alan directly.
- If you have any general questions about the unit, you can post a message under General Discussion (which is on iLearn). This is a public noticeboard: all the students and staff can see your message. For example, if you have a question about one of the assignments, you can post the question here.
- Students are encouraged to help each other. If you notice that one of your colleagues has posted a question on General Discussion, and you think you know the answer, you may post a reply. You are encouraged to help each other with tutorial questions.
- Please be polite to each other when you post messages on iLearn.
- If you have any helpful suggestions for how to improve the course, please feel free to send Alan a message.
- Important information is often posted on the Announcements in iLearn - for example we might want to tell you about a scholarship, or an ASSOC event, or a room change for a tutorial. So please read the Announcements, which are sent to your University email.