||CPA Professional Program: CPA104 Strategic Management Accounting Study Guide, Deakin University and CPA Australia, Edition as provided by CPA Australia in S1 2020. The CPA Australia Study Guide is provided to you by CPA Australia. You may also find a full software version on the CPA MyOnline Learning website.
|Unit Web Page:
- Course information is available on (iLearn).
- iLearn access is at https://ilearn.mq.edu.au/login/
- Advice for iLearn including login advice and relevant support is all available at the iLearn site.
- The student web page for this unit is located on iLearn. This includes course material, announcements and results.
- Each week you will find on iLearn Lecture Guidance Notes and In-Class Discussion Questions. You will also find relevant reference materials on iLearn.
|Technology Used and Required:
- The principal technology used in this unit comprises web based access to resource materials (see above) and the learning management system called ‘iLearn’.
- Regular access to iLearn is strongly encouraged so that you have access to:
- Resources developed for each class
- Additional recommended reading and research resources
- Additional information regarding assessment items that may be required
- Any new information that may arise in relation to contingencies – including any changes in dates, timetables or class details
- iLearn communication and discussion tools as an effective means to enhance learning for all students and staff.
- Please note that YOUR University email address must be used for both receiving and sending university emails.
|Delivery Format and Other Details:
- Seminars: Times and Locations will be advised on iLearn - you will attend one three hour seminar each week. At this stage it is likely there will be only an online seminar
- To complete the unit successfully, you should attend one three hour seminar per week, attendance is recorded each week.
- Please refer to the class diary at the end of this unit guide for detailed weekly class content.
- The University web site shows timetables: https://timetables.mq.edu.au/2021/
- Langfield-Smith, K, Thorne, H and Hilton, R Management Accounting, McGraw Hill, North Ryde. Any recent edition will provide useful background reading and also support for CPA Australia’s “assumed knowledge” protocols.
- The CPA Australia CPA104 Strategic Management Accounting Study Guide ( 3rd Edition) provides a comprehensive reference list at the end of each module containing all references cited by the authors. These references provide research sources for assignments and further reading on topics.
- Additional materials and research references will be made available or advised on iLearn. Please note you MUST refer to iLearn regularly in order to gain current materials and relevant administrative advice.
|Other Course Materials:
Preparation for seminars
It is essential that you prepare for each seminar by reading all materials and references carefully. This will include working through the relevant CPA Study Guide Modules carefully, noting any issues which you might like to discuss in class and, of course, contributing to in-class discussions and overall ‘group learning’.
You may download additional relevant class materials required each week from iLearn – login at https://ilearn.mq.edu.au/login/ These class materials will be placed on iLearn prior to class time. It is your responsibility to ensure that you access and have copies of relevant material prior to classes. You should allow time for thorough reading of all materials before each class.
Learning and Teaching Activities
Each 3 hour seminar will consist of a combination of activities including seminar presentations by the lecturer, discussions and activities which will review key concepts. You are encouraged to engage in class discussion relating to questions raised, case studies and their analysis, current events/issues and practical, problem solving exercises.
The material to be covered each week is shown in the Class Schedule (part of this Unit Guide) –additional information will be noted on the ilearn page which adds detailed date information to that shown in the Unit Guide.
A seminar that includes revision will be held prior to the external CPA Program exam. This class will include analysis, questions and cases designed to explore the entire course.