- For Term 4 2021, this unit will be delivered online only
- All lectures/workshops will be online and delivered via Zoom
- Lectures will be recorded and available for viewing by students
- Readings and case study materials are included in iLearn.
- Students should assume these readings are examinable unless otherwise advised.
Assumed Knowledge: Mathematical content
- This unit requires students to perform arithmetic (add, subtract, multiply, divide), to work with exponents (raise to the power of), and to perform algebraic manipulation of simple equations. For example, given the arithmetical answer to a calculation, it is expected that you can solve for one of the inputs.
- If 534 = 221 + X – 440, what is X?
- Additionally, this unit requires students to solve mathematical problems using spreadsheet software by coding formulas into cells in the spreadsheet.
- Students should be familiar with financial mathematics such as simple interest and the time value of money.
- If $200 is borrowed for 12 months at an interest rate of 6% pa to be paid monthly in arrears, how much interest is paid each month?
- What is the effective annual interest rate?
TECHNOLOGY USED AND REQUIRED
This unit which will make use of the University's iLearn system.
Unit iLearn Site:
- Found by logging on to iLearn ilearn.mq.edu.au, then clicking on Resources, Property and Infrastructure.
- Here you will find forums, downloadable resources and links to important pages.
- The forum allows you to communicate with other students and lecturer(s) and may provide supplementary material.
- You are requested to post your questions on the forums at least 24 hours prior to the assignment submission date or the examination date. Questions posted after that time may not be answered. Please try to not leave your questions to the last few days.
- It is important that you familiarise yourself with the unit’s iLearn site.
- All students should check iLearn regularly and look for updates and distribution of materials related to the unit or assessments and participate in forum discussions.
Assumed access to technology: Access to a computer with word processing and spreadsheet capability is assumed, as is general student computer literacy. A recent version of Excel is the preferred choice of spreadshe