Each week COMP2150 has two hours of lectures and a two-hour tutorial. Please see the Timetable at http://www.timetables.mq.edu.au. for details
REQUIRED AND RECOMMENDED TEXTS AND/OR MATERIALS
The textbook for this unit is:
- Schell, J., 2019, The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, 3rd edition, Morgan Kaufmann, ISBN-10: 1138632058 | ISBN-13: 978-1138632059
- Adams, E., 2010: Fundamentals of Game Design, 2nd. ed., New Rdiers, ISBN-10: 0321643372 | ISBN-13: 978-0321643377
- Totten, C.W. 2014, An Architectural Approach to Level Design, A K Peters/CRC Press ISBN-10: 1466585412 | ISBN-13: 978-1466585416
- Adams, E., Dormans, J., 2012 Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design, New Riders; ISBN-10: 0321820274 | ISBN-13: 978-0321820273
- Novak, J., Castillo, T. 2008 Game Development Essentials: Game Level Design, Cengage Learning, ISBN-10: 1401878644 | ISBN-13: 978-1401878641
- Swink, S. 2008, Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation, Morgan Kaufmann, ISBN-13 978-0-12-374328-2
These recommended texts are not compulsory for the subject, however, they do provide reliable and relevant resources to support the course material. These texts may be useful for later subjects that you will study as part of your degree. You are also encouraged to check for other sources, including alternative books and on-line material.
Other reading(s) for this subject will be provided via on-line material on the Web. You should be familiar with accessing through links to on-line sources of information. It is important to realise that there will be additional costs to you which may not be present in traditional presentation of education materials. Such costs include connection, time charges and access to specific information on the Web. Your Internet provider can supply you with more details.
UNIT WEBPAGE AND TECHNOLOGY USED AND REQUIRED
The official location (URL) of unit information once you have loaded your WWW browser is: http://ilearn.mq.edu.au
Once you have enrolled in the unit, you must gain access to comp2150 website. We will be using the University’s Online Learning at MQ website (iLearn). Students should check this site for regular updates.
Technology Used and Required
Unity 3D. The free version of this can be downloaded at http://unity3d.com/get-unity
Various commercial games will be referred to as examples in class.