This unit has an iLearn page that can be accessed through ilearn.mq.edu.au. It contains important information and other materials relating to the unit, including details and links for assessments.
The unit iLearn is the primary way that we communicate with you. Please check it regularly for announcements and posts. You are encouraged to use the Discussion Board on iLearn to post questions and generate discussion with other students. Please only email the convenor with private matters – all other questions should be posted on iLearn.
This unit is delivered in two modules and weekly topics. A one day field trip is also scheduled for this unit outside of normal class time. The organisation of these is outlined in a detailed unit schedule which is available on iLearn.
The class timetable for this unit can be found through the Timetable portal. You should also check the unit schedule as some weeks may have other instructions or locations.
The expected workload for this 10-credit point unit is 150 hours of activity, comprising lecture attendance and review, practical class attendance and report completion, research towards the completion of the field trip report and presentation, attendance of the field day, and exam preparation.
Requirements to complete this unit satisfactorily
To complete this unit satisfactorily, you must:
1. Participate in all scheduled classes;
2. Complete all assessments including the final exam; and
3. Achieve a pass grade or higher.
The descriptions for grades common to all coursework units offered by Macquarie University are outlined in Schedule 1 of the Assessment Policy.
Recommended Texts and/or Materials
Readings will be provided each week on iLearn
Technology Used and Required
This unit will use iLearn and Echo360. See the Instructions on how to log in to iLearn and the iLearn quick guides for students which will help you:
- Getting started - Find out how to navigate and familiarise yourself with the iLearn environment
- Activities - Learn how to effectively complete the activities required of you in iLearn
- Assignments and Gradebook - Find out how to submit assessments and view your grades using iLearn
- Online study tips - Studying online is a unique experience, learn how to navigate it here
- Discussion forums - Explore the different types, and features of discussion forums in iLearn
- Lecture recordings - Find out how to access lectures online, as well as the features available to you