UNIT REQUIREMENTS AND EXPECTATIONS
This unit will be structured following a Flipped classroom model, which describes a reversal of traditional teaching where students gain first exposure to new material outside of class, usually via reading or lecture videos, and then class time is used to do the harder work of assimilating that knowledge through strategies such as problem-solving, discussion or debates. The unit will be taught via a blended delivery of content and instruction using a multi-media approach such as video lectures, 3D digital artefacts and visualisations. The learning materials will be a combination of pre-recorded lectures produced by Macquarie University academic staff as well as links to a variety of new media, such as audio recordings/podcasts, blogs, think pieces, and/or social media posts created by local and international scholars. Through such approaches you will develop transferrable skills and analytical capacities that can be applied across various professional and academic settings.
iLearn will play a pivotal role throughout the session and will be your central hub for information and instructions. Each week will be structured as follows:
♦ BEFORE DISCUSSION | Building Knowledge, Values & Skills
Step 1 | Preparation
- Watch the pre-recorded lecture materials available via iLearn.
Complete the weekly assigned activities, object analyses and/or readings in preparation for the weekly tutorial discussion (face-to-face or via the online discussion forum).
- In specific weeks, complete an online quiz based on the required readings and prepare for the tutorial discussion.
♦ DURING DISCUSSION | Applying Knowledge, Values & Skills
Step 2 | Engage with your peers
- Lead/participate in group discussion and participate in the weekly activities in the class tutorial and/or via the online tutorial discussion forum.
♦ AFTER DISCUSSION | Consolidating and Reflecting on Learning
Step 3 | Consolidate your knowledge
- Write a short reflection on the weekly readings, lecture content and/or tutorial discussion in your learning journal on iLearn.
- At the end of the week, complete any outstanding tasks for the week and work on upcoming assessment tasks.
- Engage with a series of optional exercises and extension tasks on iLearn such as adding an item to the unit Glossary.
REQUIRED AND RECOMMENDED TEXTS AND/OR MATERIALS
There are no required textbooks for this unit. All reading materials are provided through Leganto, MQ's reading list management system, and the MQ library.
CONSULTATION HALF HOUR | OPTIONAL
Each week your convenor and tutor will run an optional 30 minute consultation via Zoom to allow you to ask questions about the weekly content, the assessments or advice on resources etc... Everyone is welcome to attend! Click here for a summary of the basics of Zoom from the MQ L&T Blog.
- To access Zoom and set up and meeting, go to https://macquarie.zoom.us/ and enter your OneID and password.
- Please make sure your Mac or PC is equipped with a microphone and speakers, so that you can use the audio functionality built into the web conferencing software.
- Please note that it is extremely important that you get your system set up prior to the start of the event. Information on installing the necessary software and configuring your PC or Mac is available at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/categories/200101697-Getting-Started
Please note that this link is only for Set up. Once you have completed the setup, close down the link and use the link provided on iLearn to access the room.