Macquarie University semesters are spread over 15 weeks, which includes a 2-week non-teaching time between weeks 7 and 8. For a 3 credit-point unit, you are expected to allocate approximately 9 hours of study per week. In the case of ECH113, this study amount would equate to approximately 135 hours over the 15 week period.
The unit is taught via:
- 1 x 1-hour lecture per week
- 1 x 90-minute tutorial per week.
Student are expected to engage with the lecture content before coming to their tutorial.
1. Completion and submission of the assessments to an overall satisfactory standard. Non submission of assignments 2a, 2b or 3 will automatically result in a fail grade and any subsequent pieces of work will not be assessed.
2. Attendance at all tutorials is expected. Unless there are documented and extenuating circumstances, less than 80% attendance will result in a fail grade. Students preventing from attending as required due to illness or misadventure should either withdraw before the census date or apply to Withdraw without Academic Penalty. Any student who has not met this requirement will be informed by email to withdraw from the unit. Any assessment pieces submitted after this time will not be assessed.
3. Completion of preparatory readings and engagement with the required lecture material before coming to the related tutorial.
There is one required text which is available from the Co-op Bookshop on campus.
Degotardi, S. (2013). ECH113 Play and Inquiry in Early Childhood: Book of Readings (3rd Edition). Sydney, Pearson
Please note that there are significant changes in this edition from previous editions, so it will be important to obtain the 3rd edition.
The following text is recommended for Institute of Early Childhood students and students from other departments who are required to use the American Psychological Association (APA) referencing style
Perrin, R. (2010). Pocket Guide to APA Style (4th Edition). Belmont, CA: Cengage Learning
You will need to access supplementary readings for your tutorial and assignment preparation:
The Stimulus articles that you required for your reading journal (assignment 1a and 1b) can be found in a folder in the study resources section of the ECH113 iLearn website.
Additional valuable readings are available via the Macquarie University E-Reserve site. These readings are usually book chapters that have been converted to a pdf file for you to print or download onto your computer. Please familiarise yourself with this facility as it contains some essential readings.
There is a website for this unit. Access to this unit is available online through iLearn, at ilearn.mq.edu.au . You will need to login using your Macquarie ID.