Johnson, G., Whittington, R., Scholes, K., Angwin, D. and Regner, P. (2017). Exploring strategy. 11th edition. Harlow, UK: Pearson Education Limited. ISBN: 9781292145129
Please note: It is recommended that you read the chapters suggested in the unit guide prior to the relevant class.
A selection of readings on Strategic Management will also be made available. Specific articles are recommended for review in connection with each class session. Optional readings (classic and contemporary) are listed below for students interested in reading further in the field of Strategic Management.
How to attain your textbook
A HKMA administrator will contact students once the required textbook is available for collection from the HKMA campus.
Other optional resources
We have also provided additional material in the iLearn unit (articles, book chapters and video links) as a resource for you. These supplementary unit materials are not compulsory and have been provided as extra resources should you be particularly interested in a topic.
Optional reading resources
Below is a list of other readings related and extended beyond this unit which you may wish to look into.
- Barney, J. (1991), "Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage," Journal of Management, 17 (1), 99-120.
- Collins, J.C. and Porras, J.I., Built to Last - Successful Habits of Visionary Companies, Harper Collins, New York, 1994
- D’aveni, R.A. & MacMillan, I.C.; Hypercompetition, The Free Press, New York, 2006.
- Hamel, G. and Prahalad, C.K., Competing for the Future, Harvard Business School Press, Boston, 1994
- Kim, W.C. and Mauborgne, R., Blue Ocean Strategy, Harvard Business School Publishing, Boston, 2005.
- Mintzberg, H., The Rise and Fall of Strategic Planning, Prentice Hall, 1994
- Osterwalder, A. and Pigneur, Y., Business Model Generation, Wiley, New Jersey, 2010.
- Porter, M.E., Competitive Strategy, Free Press, 1980
- Porter, M.E., Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, Free Press,1985
- Senge, P.M., The Fifth Discipline, Double Day Currency, 1990
- Teece, D. (2007) "Explicating Dynamic Capabilities: The Nature and Microfoundations of (sustainable) Enterprise Performance", Strategic Management Journal, 28, 1319-1350
The web page for this unit can be found at: https://ilearn.mq.edu.au/login/MGSM
Access to a personal computer is required to access resources and learning material from iLearn.