Unit Convenor & Lecturer (Module 1)
Unit Convenor & Lecturer (Module 2)
Please use email (firstname.lastname@example.org) as the first form of contact.
Staff will not conduct consultations (i.e., answering specific topic-related questions) by email. Most staff members are available for two hours' face-to-face consultation each week, starting from Week 2 (or Week 3). The staff consultation timetable will be made available on iLearn by the end of Week 1. You may phone staff during their consultation hours.
In order to gain access to staff located at levels 2 and 3 of building E4A during their consultation hours, please ring the staff member from the phones available in the lobby (phone numbers of relevant staff members will be provided on iLearn and are available next to the phones).
Students experiencing significant difficulties with any topic in the unit must seek assistance immediately.
- There are two modules in this unit and the teaching scheme is different for each.
- Module 1 (by James Hazelton), Business Planning and Advisory (Weeks 1 to 6): all lectures are online videos (please access via iLearn), but tutorials are face-to-face in a class room.
- Module 2 (by Stephen Haswell), Corporate Accounting (Weeks 7 to 13): all lectures are face-to-face live in a lecture theater (please see details below), plus tutorials.
- Tutorials for both modules are one hour per week face-to-face, starting in Week 2.
- The timetable for classes can be found at: http://www.timetables.mq.edu.au/
Timetable for Module 2 lectures (Weeks 7 to 13)
6 - 8 pm
|14 Sir Christopher Ondaatje Ave - T3 Theatre
4 - 6 pm
|14 Sir Christopher Ondaatje Ave - Mason Theatre
Timetable for tutorials
Tutorials begin in Week 2. Tutorial places have been allocated by the University's online enrolment system. You must enrol in a tutorial online before the session starts.
Due to the large number of students enrolled in ACCG308, changes to tutorials are managed by the online enrolment system. It is not necessary to contact members of staff about tutorial changes. Online enrolment will be shut down on Thursday of Week 2, so all tutorial changes must be made by then.
You must attend your registered tutorial for the assessments of tutorial participation and class test.
Required and Recommended Texts and/or Materials
Module 1 (Business Planning and Advisory)
Rogoff, E., (2007) Bankable Business Plans (2nd Edition), Rowhouse Publishing, New York. Available on Kindle from amazon.com
Note that this is an old text but is excellent in the way it simply and logically sets out the key elements of a business plan. For a more up-to-date discussion on business planning and marketing in the digital era, the following additional text is highly recommended:
Kawasaki (2015) The Art of the Start 2.0: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything, Penguin, New York.
Module 2 (Corporate Accounting)
Jubb, P.B., Haswell, S.M. and I.A. Langfield-Smith, Company Accounting, 5th Edition 2010, Cengage, Melbourne.
The text can be purchased from the Macquarie University Co-op Bookshop.
This text is used extensively for both lecture references and for tutorial homework. Ideally, students should have a copy of this text that they can access at all times. Copies of this text are available on Library Reserve.
Technology Used and Required
- You must be familiar with the learning management system, iLearn (please refer to the detail contained below in Unit Web Page).
- You need to conduct research and be familiar with Internet search engines and library databases.
Unit Web Page
ACCG308 lecture slides, notices and tutorial homework solutions will be available from the unit’s web page. You can access the web page on campus, at work or at home, where you can log in to “iLearn” https://ilearn.mq.edu.au/login/MQ/. Please check the web site on a regular basis for notices, updates, etc.
'Virtual tutorials', which provide detailed explanations for some tutorial homework questions, are also made available for some topics.